Sunday 7 August 2011

X-Men (2000)

First seeing the trailer of this I remember that unbearable excitement as I attempted to identify all the characters and then continuing to do so at each opportunity that followed. So being a well educated youth in the ways of the mutant Marvel tales you can maybe imagine my slight disappointment with this film.

Watching it now I can barley get through the first half without cringing although I do remember getting super childish happy (you know that kind of happy when you need to make a weird sound that dogs from miles away can hear) that first time I saw Mags square up to Logan or Mystique just on a hole being great (though a big gun and the classic white dress woulda been nice also), so its not impossible to enjoy odd moments but credit to any fellow fanboys who can push aside their hate of some totally wrong aspects (personally why is wolverine the main character ...sigh)
However by itself as a film if you put aside some awareness of the source material it's easily pleasing at times. Although I also cannot help but think the only reason for the film happening when it did and having a style as such was due more to the popularity of The Matrix and other films similarly influenced in tight leather.

No comments:

Post a Comment