Sunday 23 October 2011

The Woman (2011)

Harsh...F**** up...Nah they don't even come close, try totally damaging and beating the hell out of any perception I thought I had for the ideas of artistic gore ( I like to believe in the existence of such a thing). Id think this to be an easy "saw that coming" horror film as it starts that way a bit, but the air of something not being right is far deeper than it first makes you believe. Don't let the trailer or description fool you this is not just about the feral woman, (Pollyanna McIntosh, who is epic and I wanna see her more) this is more about an animal kingdom like role of dominance between male and female, both in day to day life and the family situation. I feel the title relates more to the entire female cast rather than just the centre character, its sort of as if Lucky McKee has taken on the directorial role of a documentary maker to study the human male and his need to be the alpha, and with that in contrast also show how clearly he is not.

The haunting art in this is the very uncomfortable family situation, of which I would gladly take my chances living in the wild over being a part of. From the very start you have this wrong, nasty feeling that this family has allot more wrong with it than just the eventual wrong element that your expecting.

Simply put, I love a good bit of gore and well made horror and I was caught off guard with this, so for anyone who loves this stuff its a great watch nothing entirely exiting but its better than the usual blockbuster horror disappointments like "Saw" and it will slap you around the jaw when you think you've got it pegged....for anyone who runs from the (soft) regular horror don't even bother, I expect you will cringe most the way through it the anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment